Thursday, October 13, 2011

The Top Ten Movies For Halloween!


If you're anything like me, which I assume you are or else you wouldn't be reading this, you love horror movies.  You love them relentlessly and with a great passion.   After all, that's what a film is: an image that's supposed to stay in your mind for as long as possible in order to affect your emotions.  Horror films do this perfectly.

Everyone remembers being a kid and being scared beyond imagination watching a horror film.  I mean, I really do.  I remember it vividly.  That hockey mask-wearing, machete-weilding, giant with the tattered clothes left me sleepless for days.  Of course, these images are the basis for what some of us now consider horror.  With Halloween coming up, what better way to commemorate 20+ years of being scared to death than with the ULTIMATE HALLOWEEN HORROR MOVIE MARATHON LIST!  (Also known as UHHMM or Uhhmm!)





1) Saw

Saw is gore-fest,  don't get me wrong.  It leaves you cringing at points, and you want and feel the need to look away, but you just can't seem to do it.  As an added bonus to you feeling totally helpless, the entire series is one great plotline.  It's hard to choose just one, but if you must, watch the original Saw.  Everyone will love it.





2) Halloween

The first Halloween left me scared to go out at night.  A blank-faced masked murderer out to kill his family?  Oh wait, I'm not family.  Not that Michael Myers cares, he'll kill everything that gets in the way, including a dog.  Crazy family-stalking, dog-killing sicko.


3) The Texas Chainsaw Massacre

The first one scared me to death.  Old, out of the way houses officially creep me out, especially the ones with a cannibal family that live there.  The sound of a chainsaw revving up still sends shivers up my spine.  Oh, and a mask made out of people's faces?  Count me out!




4) The Shining

I'd like to note that I had to stop myself from starting with "Here's Johnny!"  This movie is scary in so many ways.  But most importantly I'd like to point out one thing. TWINS!  No, not that kind...








5) Hellraiser

The amount of pain inflicted by the cult classic killer named Pinhead can almost be felt as you try to watch the movie.  This movie is sure to make everyone at your Halloween party wince.









6) Freddy Vs. Jason

I couldn't decide between Freddy or Jason, so why not have them both rolled into one to show each killer's true self?  Freddy is the classic table-turning, witty, nightmare killer and Jason remains a big, quiet brute ready to kill for his mother.  Everyone loves this movie.  EVERYONE.






7) Alien

What's a list of horror movies without the geekiest one out there?  Alien is one of, if not the, best science fiction horror thriller out there.  The intensity gradually rises throughout the film, and there's never a dull moment.  You'll never know when the Alien will show up...











8) Day of the Dead (1985)

You need at least one zombie movie in your Halloween Movie Marathon and Day of the Dead is that movie.  Underground bunker? Check.  Police force and scientists? Check. Guy getting ripped apart brutally by zombies? Double. Check.



9) The Exorcist

The Exorcist is one of those movies that you can't NOT add when making a movie marathon list.  It's a classic, and set the stage for many horror movies we take in  and get scared of today.  This reminds me of a joke:  A priest, a mother, and a demon-possessed little girl with a projectile vomiting problem walk into a bar....








10) House of 1000 Corpses

This should be the final movie played during Halloween.  I love this movie with a passion. The entire cast is creepy, and the movie is brilliantly shot.  There are scares and thrills to be had with this movie, and there's always time for some laughs here and there.  If you have time, go one further and top it off with The Devil's Rejects, an equally as good, if not better, sequel.




That's our Top Ten!  Are there any frightening favorites that you'd like to add to this list? Let us know below!

3 comments:

  1. I'd throw in some international horror, which tends to be pretty out there and creepy, like the classic Suspiria and the recent French films Martyrs and High Tension. I'd also throw in Psycho for a classic horror film - and one I never get tired of watching!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely! We totally forgot about the international films! Those are even scarier than American films!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am very very interested to watch this type of movies because i love horror and thriller movies always so please always posting on your blog on a Top Ten Movies....Good work

    ReplyDelete