Saturday, December 31, 2011

11/22/63: A Novel by Stephen King Review


In case you hadn’t noticed, we’ve updated our humble little blog recently.  There are incentives to donate on the right hand side and we can finally include our last forms of entertainment in our redone tabs up top: music and books!

We’ve decided to start off the book portion of Geek Preview with the review of 11/22/63 by Stephen King. We sure did choose one hell of a novel to kick off the new section.  Check out the 11/22/63 review after the jump!


The book starts out in the same sense that many of King’s novels begin. We are introduced to the main characters in all of their glory, but they are still shrouded in mystery.  Jake Epping unknowingly lets us into his life and takes us on what is sure to be the wildest ride of your life.

We start in the year 2011 when Jake’s friend Al, owner and cook at the local diner, lets Jake in on a huge secret he had discovered: time travel.  Jake tests out Al’s secret, still in disbelief, and it works.  After tinkering with going back to 1958 multiple times, Jake takes up Al’s offer of going back into the past and saving John F. Kennedy from his assassination.  However, the past doesn’t want to be changed and will stop at nothing to ensure it remains the same.

The entire novel, all 697 pages of it, keeps you on your toes.  Twists are thrown at you when you least expect them (you never, ever do.)  I found myself devouring this novel, turning page after page (or swipe after swipe, as it was an e-book,) and darting my eyes as fast as possible across the page to try to find out what happens next.

After finishing the book, I was left feeling great.  Stephen King left no question unanswered while still having me wanting more.  I’ll admit, it’s extremely hard to follow up with another novel after 11/22/63, but you will probably want to turn back to page one when you’re done to relive all of those moments again.

The characters that Mr. King created were beautifully crafted to the point that I felt they exist this very moment.  Everything felt so real, so… honest.  There were times that anyone could connect with protagonist Jake Epping, who had a heart of gold.  Some of the choices he had to make made it painful to read, while others nearly brought tears to my eyes.

Let’s not forget the deaths of the major characters, some not as deserving as others.  I found myself covering my mouth in awe and feeling betrayed by characters that don’t exist.  I hated some and absolutely loved others.  I felt like I knew each and every one of these characters people and I enjoyed the company they gave me.

Mr. King created a fantastic world, both past and future.  Everything seemed so real.  At times, I could feel, smell, see, and taste the world he described.  11/22/63 is the most interactive, involving experience I’ve ever had with a novel in my life.

There were also tons of references to other works by Stephen King, notably It.  These came up time and again and made it even more fun to read!

OVERALL GRADE: 10 If there is just one book you read in your life, make it this one.  Hell, you could even listen to the audio book if you wanted to.  I’d recommend the book in this case so that you can let your mind run free and run with what Stephen King gives you.  This is the best book of 2011, hands down.

Have you read it yet? What’s your favorite Stephen King novel?

No comments:

Post a Comment